When it comes to accounting for nonprofits, Abila MIP Fund Accounting offers many benefits for nonprofit organizations. But why should your nonprofit “go mobile”? Is it just a fad or is it something you need take seriously for the future growth and development of your organization?
Going mobile isn’t a fad. It’s here to stay. The data supports it. According to the Pew Research Center, nearly three-quarters of Americans own a smartphone. Older Americans are increasingly adopting smartphone usage for everything from internet browsing to checking email and banking. Nearly seven out of 10 Americans check one or more social media sites each day – often from their smartphones.
Nonprofit organizations who wish to reach the most people at the lowest cost would be wise to adopt a mobile strategy. Let’s take a closer look at what it means to “go mobile”, including adding mobile accounting for nonprofits to your list of mobile apps and software. It’s a powerful way to improve productivity and enhance your ability to manage your nonprofit organization.
Going Mobile: Why Mobile Matters
As you can see from the Pew data, mobile matters. Smartphones are ubiquitous. People rely upon their smartphones now more than perhaps any other gadget in the past. Smartphones connect them to their family, friends, necessary services, and yes, to the nonprofits they support.
That’s why going mobile matters. Your donors, constituents, members and supporters are now online 24/7. They’re checking social media for updates. They’re doing their banking and paying their bills. They’re reading their emails and making dinner plans with friends. All of this translates into powerful opportunities for nonprofit organizations to connect with their constituents.
Addressing the Mobile Market: A Plan
Clearly, smartphones have become as ubiquitous as wristwatches for your constituents. Now is the time to create your strategy and plan to reach donors and members using mobile technology.
To do so, the following suggested steps may be helpful:
- Build a mobile outreach plan around your constituent base, their needs, and your budget. It’s great to have lofty goals but you’ll only set yourself up for disappointment if your mobile outreach plan is too far-reaching. First, examine your constituency. Find out where they gather online. Build your strategy on your best opportunities to engage with your members, donors, and constituents on the websites, platforms, and social media sites they prefer.
- Change your creative strategy to accommodate mobile devices. Your marketing strategy should include copy that is easy to read on small mobile device screens. Responsive websites, which can adjust copy and design according to the device accessing them, ensure that no matter where constituents choose to interact with you, your website will make a great first impression.
- Enable online donations. A modern mobile strategy must accommodate online giving. Constituents who are accessing information about your nonprofit organization don’t want to stop their online searches, download and print forms, or call an 800 number to donate. Make it easy for them to click a button and donate via their smartphones.
- Create short content for easy, memorable mobile marketing. Social media’s demand for short, to the point messages, means you’ll have to boil down your marketing messages to short, simple bullets. Shorter is better in a mobile-connected world.
- Make business software mobile, too. Accounting for nonprofits can be handled via mobile access using software such as Abila MIP Fund Accounting. Abila MIP makes it easy for you to access your accounting for nonprofits anywhere, anytime, from any internet-connected device. If you run events, travel frequently for business, or simply like to work from home, using Abila MIP makes great sense.
Just as the automobile revolutionized how we work, play, and live our lives, opening up horizons undreamed of among the previous generation, so too have mobile devices changed how people live, work, and donate. It’s time for nonprofits to adjust their outlook and adopt a mobile strategy.
RBP Methods helps right-brained people navigate a left-brained world. We offer nonprofit software and consulting services. We’d love to talk to you about your online fundraising or other needs. Contact us today or call 503-648-9051.